Everyone loves a new baby! And, visitors of a new baby often come bearing gifts. Any gift is of course appreciated. And, while I’m all for adorable little baby outfits, gear, cute toys, and baby necessities, there are some other really helpful gifts to consider. As far as this mom is concerned, one of THE best gifts is a meal!! After the birth of my 3rd, a couple friends brought over meals ready to go right before dinnertime. I loved it! It’s a great way to bless a new mom. Here are some tips:
1. Make a family friendly meal. Unless you know the tastes of the family incredibly well, stick to comfort foods & basics– things that “everyone” likes. Plus, if the mom already has kids, she’ll appreciate it when everyone can eat the same thing & likes the meal. One recipe that I like to make that is easy, freezes well, and is usually a crowd-pleaser is pizza casserole! It’s versatile and can be easily tailored to suit people’s tastes.
2. Bring lots of food. If you’re already taking things over anyway, why not make the dish a bit larger (say a 9×13 pan vs. an 8×8) or throw in a little something extra? Maybe add in a dessert to go with dinner or some muffins for breakfast the next morning. It probably won’t be much more work for you and will be so appreciated by your recipient.
3. Use disposable containers. New moms don’t want to worry about returning dishes to people. Instead, use ziplocs, plastic containers, and foil pans.
4. Write down instructions. Perhaps you’re bringing a freezer meal or one that needs to have something done to it. If so, make sure to attach instructions so everyone knows what to do. You could even use this adorable printable from Embellish & attach it to the top of your disposable container!
5. Freezer cooking before baby comes! Another fun meal idea would be to do a freezer cooking session with (or for) the mom-to-be before the baby arrives! With a new baby in the house, it is absolutely amazing to have a freezer full of meals already prepared that can just be popped in the oven or dumped in the crock-pot. If you need some inspiration, you can check out my “once a month cooking/freezer meals” Pinterest board! 😉
What is your favorite meal to take to a new mom?