With my due date quickly approaching, I am beginning to feel the pressure of having everything ready for my baby’s arrival. I do feel like I am in a good place, but I have received some excellent tips from my friends to help me during the first few weeks and for my hospital bag-packing list.
- Hospital Bag:
- Bring a sheet for your husband.
- Many sites say to bring a robe, but use the one the hospital gives you because it gets ruined.
- Bring a pair of granny panties (full-bottomed underwear) that you are okay throwing away. The hospital will give you disposable underwear, but it is nice to have a pair that is not made of mesh.
- Take what you can from the hospital: diapers, lanolin lotion, pads, a brush for baby baths, etc.
- First few weeks at home:
- If you live in a multi-level house, set up a changing station area besides the one you have in the nursery. Be sure to include diapers, wipes, lotion and extra onesies. You will not want to be running up and down the stairs during the first few weeks.
- Have formula just in case. If you are breastfeeding, have formula on hand just in case, you do not want to be in a bind at 2 a.m.
- Buy a package of plain onesies and burp cloths (my friend recommended Carters). You will be going through onesies and burp cloths like crazy the first few weeks, and there is no need to dirty or ruin the cute ones you received as gifts.
Editor’s Note: Our sincerest congratulations to Meghann and her husband who very recently became the proud parents to a beautiful baby boy!