Mother’s Day is all about celebrating your mom, or women that are like mothers to you. Yet when I became a mother I realized that this is also a celebration for myself that I’ve made it another year as a mom without yanking all my hair out. Since much of my sanity and success as a mom is due to my tribe of wonderfully supportive mom friends I figured we needed a celebration of our own. Thus I have started our tradition of a Mother’s Day Eve moms night out. We get together the Saturday night before Mother’s Day for a fun night of bowling, drinks or whatever strikes our fancy that year.
Want to start your own tradition with your girlfriends? Here’s a few suggestions:
- Bowling - this was SUCH fun! We did the rock and bowl with crazy lights and cool music. It was quite eye opening to see my otherwise reserved mom friends get silly as we had a contest to see who could do the most ridiculous bowling stance.
- Go dancing - I LOVE dancing and have been swing dancing since I was 16. Find a local swing dance club that offers free lessons with admission, grab your girls and dancing shoes. Grooving to something other than The Wiggles will remind you there’s a world out there besides Sprout.
- Have a dinner party - Choose a theme and make it a potluck! Cooking one gourmet dish I don’t have to worry about my kids eating feeds not only my soul but my stomach. Some fun themes are French Riviera, Spanish tapas or make it International from their place of origin!
- Check out a local theatre - whether it be stand up comedy, a musical or dramatic reading there’s nothing quite like listening to live theatre instead of whining children.
- Go see the movie Moms Night Out! - This is what we are doing this year! It opens Mother’s Day weekend and I’ve heard stellar reviews from many of my mom friends who saw it during preview screenings. Check out your local listings.
What are you doing Mother’s Day eve?
Whatever you decide to do HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY to you!