We are huge readers at our house, and we simply LOVE getting new books! I try to rotate them in and out as the sheer number can overtake my kids’ small room. At each season or holiday, my boys love digging into my box of decorations because they always know their seasonal books are there waiting for them year after year. Here are a few of our favorite fall and Halloween books that your family might enjoy, too.
- Monsterator by Keith Graves – Master Edgar Dreadbury is bored with the mundane costumes and decides to monsterate himself into something horribly scary. The only problem is that he can’t seem to undo it! Kids of all ages will love this well-told, rhyming tale. Plus, in the back of the book, kids can create their own monsters!
- The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda Williams – First published in 1986, this classic book continues to delight children. The little old lady is walking in the woods when she encounters a CLOMP CLOMP, WIGGLE WIGGLE and all sorts of sounds and clothing that make up a scarecrow. My boys have all the sounds memorized and love shouting them out as we read.
- Spooky Pookie by Sandra Boynton – Honestly, we love almost ALL of Sandra’s books, but this Halloween book is so cute! Everyone will love its funny ending. Though aimed for a younger age group, my 6-year-old still enjoys it!
- Apple Farmer Annie by Monica Wellington – Follow Annie through her apple-filled day of picking, counting, sorting, baking and selling. For some extra fun, try making some of her simple apple recipes! We picked up this gem at a pumpkin patch, and my boys have loved it. Plus, the illustrations are super cute!
- The Berenstain Bears Happy Halloween by Stan and Jan Berenstain – A collection of three Berenstain Bears books in one! Included are The Berenstain Bears Trick or Treat, The Berenstain Bears and the Ghost of the Forest, and lastly, The Berenstain Bears and the Prize Pumpkin, which has more of a Thanksgiving theme.