This summer has brought many changes for my almost-three year old. We’re using the potty. We’re enrolled in a mini-morning preschool for the fall. We put on and take off our own shoes, crowns and tutus all by ourselves. We’re back to our sweet personality after a brief few months of terrible-two hell. We’re getting out and about and inventing new ways to feel fabulous. The only thing we’re NOT doing? Ditching our crib.

Don't think we're getting rid of this anytime soon...

Don’t think we’re getting rid of this anytime soon…

Yup, this decision is for ME. I’m not too proud to admit it: I USE that crib. That crib is my mother’s helper, man. The crib contains her when it’s time to go to bed and she doesn’t want to. It gives me another hour or so of sleep-time in the morning (because it prevents her from getting up by herself… at this point she hollers to me “Mommy I’m awake!” to which I respond “I’ll be right there” and then doze off a bit more while she waits for me… seriously, it works). The crib guarantees some sort of naptime during the day (as opposed to her getting out of a bed and just playing in her room, walking around the house or throwing stuffed animals into her little sister’s crib). The crib serves as a fabulous timeout trap compartment if/when we absolutely need it (I know, I know… you’re not supposed to combine “punishment things” with “sleep things” but dude, sometimes you’re desperate when you’ve got a younger toddler also at home to contend with). And despite my older girl’s monkey-ways of climbing and jumping, she hasn’t managed to escape it (which I’m taking as a major blessing).

Like I said, she’s almost three, and right now my life is as close to organized as it can be with an almost-three year old and one-and-a-half year old. For the most part, she still fits in it and really doesn’t seem to mind it. Why fix what ain’t broke? We’ve used our trips to Grandma’s house to test the whole “Let’s sleep in a big bed!” thing… yeah… that didn’t work. Up and down, up and down, up and down the hallway… the dark hallway that she’s not afraid of at all. (NOBODY slept those nights). The second I swap her crib for a bed, things will change at my house. No more getting out of bed at 8:30am. No more guaranteed naps. No more worry-free nights of being confident she’s actually contained in her bed. I’m just not ready. Is this selfish or smart on my part? I’m torn. I know I’ll have to suck it up, do the work that every parent does and transition/teach her into a bed. But again: I’m just not ready… yet.

HOW LONG DID YOU KEEP YOUR KID IN A CRIB?

13 Responses to Confession: I’m keeping my toddler in a crib.

1. Megan Elkins says:

I feel exactly the same way and am doing the same with my 2-year-old. Until he can get out of the crib he is staying in there! My husband wants to put him in a big boy bed but I say no way Jose.

2. jillsimonian says:

Yeaaaahhhhhhhhh Megan!!! Glad I’m not alone. Let’s start a club. :)

3. jaime says:

I TOTALLY kept my kid in a crib as long as possible! I would say she was 3 before she was out of it, and at that point I put a baby gate up in the doorway of her bedroom, so then her room became like a huge crib. I don’t feel bad about any of this…she was the type of kid who would have walked out the front door at 3 in the morning if allowed to roam free.

4. Sabrina Eastom says:

Are you kidding, don’t feel bad at all. My Ped actually said keep them in it until the try to get out. My son will be 3 in October and I have no plans on switching him over. Your life WILL change when you decide to lol! You go Momma:-)

5. Oh I keep my kids in the crib until they get bumped by a younger sibling or learn how to climb out on their own. It’s a serious sanity saver.

6. Kat says:

You all should be ashamed of yourselves. If you didn’t want to be a parent you shouldn’t have had children!

7. jillsimonian says:

Thanks Kat! I know… I agree… and trust me, I’d have told myself that very same thing last year. Thing is, I’m slowly learning that some things do not turn out as planned/previously thought… with my full-time stay- and work-at-home status (meaning, I don’t have a nanny and I’m at home doing all the dirty work by myself, happily), I also realize that I just want a *bit* longer (ie: a few more months) of being able to put my toddler to bed without having to worry that she’s getting up and walking around in the middle of the night (so that I can get some shuteye, so that I can get up and do the high-octane tough parenting every day, like teaching all the other behavior/reading/talking/respecting/playing-nice stuff). Don’t fret… she’ll be in a bed soon enough! :)

8. Jen says:

My son was in his crib until 2 months shy of his 3rd birthday…glad I’m not the only one :) I’ll join the club!

9. I hear you! My DD turned 3 the end of May and I have no plans of switching her until she either outgrows it (which she hasn’t) or she starts climbing out. I’m not ready for the lack of sleep that will cause, especially when my youngest is finally STTN.

10. Chrissy says:

If you choose to keep her in a crib I would highly suggest getting a video monitor to check out what she’s doing in there. We found out that our 3 year old was sitting on top of the crib railing and also putting her leg through the top horizontal bar and leaning over. If she had lost her balance and slipped she could have broken her leg in an instant.

So, we went ahead and converted her crib to a toddler bed. Of course, she does not stay in it all of the time. Bedtime she is pretty good. Nap time has had a lot of fails. I’ve had to anchor the dressers to the wall, so if she climbs on them they won’t fall over and crush her (this kills kids, literally).

I wish there was a way for me to post the photos here that I took of my daughter being a monkey. She was so quiet in there, we had no idea what was happening.

11. http://www.amarmielife.com/2013/09/no-more-climbing-out-of-crib-toddler.html

At 4 am this morning I came up with this little invention as an alternative to a crib tent. I sure hope it helps our tired family!

12. michelle says:

I found this article when I searched “toddler in crib” on pinterest. I have a 3 year old daughter who coslept with me until her first birthday and then went straight to a toddler bed. I didn’t have a crib for her and didn’t want to sleep with her anymore. She’s always been pretty easy going so it worked well for us. My 15 month old son on the other hand is the reason I did the search! He slept in a pack n play for a long time and I switched him to a toddler bed around his birthday. He has been waking up 4-6 times a night, every night! But since I don’t want to put him in the pack n play again, I’m planning on getting him an actual crib for the reasons you listed in this post! It’s nice to know I’m not the only one!

13. […] much as I resisted it (and as long as I put this whole bed-thing off) I will officially miss the scene of two-cribs-in-one-room. Did I love it while it lasted? I think […]