When I got pregnant with my second child I knew I would need a double stroller. I am a very on the go mom and although I enjoy babywearing I also like to have someplace to set him down while on the go (I’ve even done diaper changes in that car seat!). The research began almost immediately and I scrutinized every double stroller I saw when we were out and about. Over the next nine months I honed in on what I felt we would need in a double and finally decided on the City Select. The biggest selling points for me were:
Versatility – If I had bought only one stroller when my first was born it would have been this one. The fact that it can go from a single to a double so easily was the BIGGEST selling point. Since I sometimes go out with the baby and not the toddler this is a big benefit. I just pop off the front seat and away we go!
Stadium Seating - I really wanted something that was tiered instead of side by side. I just didn’t want to worry about getting through tight spaces. Not to mention I had heard some kids tend to fight when placed next to each other. The City Select has numerous seating options that can be changed as your kids grow.
Maneuverability – This thing drives like a Cadillac it’s so smooth! Although it is pretty heavy when loaded with all my stuff I can still push it one-handed. It glides so easily I have to make sure to put the brake on if we are on an incline otherwise it may stroll away.
Hand Brake – Why doesn’t every stroller have this?! There is nothing I hate more than using the foot brake while wearing flip-flops.
Easy Access Large Storage Area – Another thing I love about the City Select is the HUGE storage space below. It even unzips in the back to accommodate more stuff! Plus no need to worry about yanking and tweaking that bag of sand toys to squeeze it out, there is nothing in your way! Just grab and go!
Parent Tray – I know, seems silly, but after having spilled my coffee more times than I can recall from other poorly constructed cup holders this was a MUST. Luckily the City Select has a parent tray that securely holds my coffee safely away from door frames and also had two velcro pouches to stash your keys, phone, etc.
Some other features include:
- Telescoping handlebar with wipe-clean grip
- Multi-position seat recline with long seat bottom
- Multi-position sun canopy with peek-a-boo window and adjustable head height
- Secure latch keeps stroller folded during transport
Now this wouldn’t be a fair review without mentioning a few drawbacks:
- The City Select is BIG and HEAVY, but what double stroller isn’t? It’s made from metal and high quality materials, such as the forever air tires, thus making it weigh more. This just means it’s durable and will outlast cheaper plastic models.
- It’s EXPENSIVE! This was the biggest drawback for me. I had a hard time justifying the price but as I mentioned above due to its durability and versatility this will probably be the last stroller I buy. For something I will use almost daily for the next few years it was worth it for me.
- There are only a few seat configurations that do not require you to remove a seat before folding it up. With the way I currently have it set up (car seat adapter in back and seat in front) I am able to leave them all attached and just fold and go. Once I move the baby to his own seat I will have to remove one every time I break down the stroller. This was a drawback for me but with how easy and fast the seats pop in and out it wasn’t a deal breaker.
I couldn’t be happier with my choice and after looking at all the options out there this is definitely the best one in my book!
What double stroller did you choose and why?