Every summer, I find myself on the hunt for a cool new outdoor toy for my girls to play with. Some years I think of something bigger, like last year when I suggested my in-laws get my youngest a water table for her first birthday, and some years I think of something smaller like the year we got a soccer ball and some cones to play family soccer games after dinner – which we almost always eat on the back patio in the summer. I really love parks, museums and libraries. No doubt you’ll see me out and about all over town this summer with my girls, but I also love having a fun place for my girls to hang on days when we’re just not in the mood to head out of the house.
I’m still deciding on this year’s winning outdoor toy idea for my family, but I’ve pulled together a list of fun outdoor toys for toddlers and younger children to help you in your search for awesome outdoor toys to keep your little ones active and engaged this summer.
21 Outdoor Toys for Toddlers
- Bring the see saw to your own yard with The Original Toy Company Crocodile Rocker.
- Splash pool
- The Hape Gourmet Grill even comes with food to pretend grill.
- Balls for kicking, throwing, chasing and ball based games never go out of style.
- A Strider Balance Bike is a great set of wheels.
- Bubbles are a blast and sets with big wands like the Melissa & Doug Bollie Bubble Set are perfect for little hands.
- Water guns and balloons may not be age appropriate but wet sponges are great for toddler-sized water fights.
- Let the sprinkler fun begin!
- A watering can means fun for toddlers and watered plants for you!
- Bean bag toss is a classic and perfect for hand-eye coordination.
- A Sand & Water Wheel Play Table will entertain little ones for hours.
- A teepee is not only a backyard hideaway to beat the heat, but also great of imaginative play.
- PlasmaCar Ride-On Toy is fun for the whole family.
- Good old sidewalk chalk.
- Hula hoops to roll, jump through and hula-hoop.
- Buckets, shovels and sand toys for digging.
- A folding slide offers lots of fun while not taking up tons of space when not in use.
- Ring toss
- Ribbon wands make for awesome running, jumping and twirling.
- The croquet you remember is nowhere near as cute a set made for children.
What outdoor toys are favorites in your house?