Going to the beach or pool with your baby is such a fun experience, but if you thought you had a lot to pack in your diaper bag, you will need to prepare EVEN MORE for the beach or pool. Never fear, the experts at Club MomMe are sharing their tips to make this experience as fun and easy as possible.
1. Sunscreen with physical blockers like Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide. These products sit on the skin instead of being absorbed by the skin, meaning they provide much better protection from the sun for sensitive skin. A few favorites: Sunny Sunscreen by Babytime by Episencial and MD Moms Sunscreen Wipes.
2. Re-Usable Swim Diapers. These diapers are made to contain poop, but they let pee soak through. Pee in the pool? Yes. And you can also get pee in your car seat or stroller if you put a swim diaper on your child to drive or walk to the pool or beach. Your best bet is to change your child once you get to your destination to avoid accidents – cleaning a car seat or stroller is no fun! Two fun ones: Charlie Banana re-usable swim diaper and The Honest Company re-usable swim diapers.
3. Wet Clothes Zippered Bag. This is a must for keeping the rest of your diaper or beach bag dry after leaving the pool or beach. Place the entire wet clothes bag into the washing machine when you get home to keep it clean and smelling fresh! The Itzy Ritzy Zipper Wet Bag is an adorable wet clothes bag that is zippered to ensure there is no spilling in your bag!
4. Powder. No one likes a sandy car or a sandy baby after you leave the beach. Use talc powder to easily remove the sand from your child’s skin without causing any scrapes or boo boos.
5. Sand Toys. Great for building sand castles, digging, shoveling sand and more! Some of my favorites are made by Green Toys which are non-toxic, eco-friendly and made from recycled plastic.
6. Hooded Towel. Babies can get cold really quickly. Once they leave the water, a hooded towel will cover the entire body, including their head, where heat can quickly escape. This will also make for easier changes from wet swim clothes and will shield their entire body from the sun. Three favorites are by Bebe Au Lait and Swaddle Designs.
7. Swimsuits. You can always use a regular bathing suit, but most are not going to protect your child’s sensitive skin from the sun’s rays. Snapper Rock children’s swimwear blocks 98 percent of the sun’s harmful rays, is adorable and its Sun Suit is way easier to peel off a wet and tired baby than a top and bottom. iPlay also makes great swimwear with SPF protection built in.
8. Water Safe Shoes. If it goes to the beach or pool, it will probably get wet. You don’t want to spend $45 on a pair of shoes only to have them ruined. Bring water-safe shoes that won’t be ruined by a trip to the beach and will also provide better traction on wet or sandy surfaces.
Crocs make adorable water-safe shoes for kids, and we love these special LEGO versions of its classic shoes. Pediped makes water-safe shoes for babies through 7 years old. We love that they can be washed in the washing machine, and they are incredibly comfortable!
9. Wide-Brimmed Hat. A wide-brimmed hat is essential for all children to have when in the sun. Children’s skin is much more sensitive than adult skin and can burn quickly. A wide-brimmed hat will also provide complete protection for your child’s head in the sun, and a chin strap is a must. Even a child who hates wearing a hat can keep this hat on for hours, and it won’t float away in water.
i play makes great hats for the pool and beach.
10. Travel Blanket. A large, travel blanket provides a safe surface for your child to sit, lay and play on anywhere. Look for a large blanket with either a waterproof or water-resistant fabric and a large space or sides that don’t allow the blanket to blow away or blow sand into your child’s face. One option is the JJ Cole Essential Blanketwhich is large, water resistant and provides a plush surface for your little one to enjoy.
The Monket Mat is a small, ultra-portable blanket you can use anywhere, but is perfect for the pool or beach because all four sides of the mat are weighted. That means wind or a running child won’t cause the blanket to go flying, causing sand and other debris to fly onto your little one. We also love that the Monkey Mat comes in a carrying case to keep it clean, and it stays attached to the mat when opened. Genius! Another favorite is the JJ Cole Mat that comes in many fun designs.